Let’s be honest, nutrition is one of the most difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and crazes are regularly emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to function properly. Limiting vital nutrients is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet by themselves actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important part of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same method when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in how you eat.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have significantly changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to indulge every once in a while, it’s become the norm in our society causing obesity to become an epidemic. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t concentrate on calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a higher fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more significant than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you determine how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, keeping your body in “burn mode” rather than “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to eat good fat as it provides needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning excess sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to replenish the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program sensible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members can celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they eat those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly made up of water, so drinking the right amount of water is essential to our complete health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps ease muscle aches. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help give you the feeling of being full faster, allowing you to keep portions under control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, certain meals that tally points, tracking calories or eliminating every favorite food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the price of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and find out how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!